Retrofitting external wall insulation presents practical challenges when applying the insulation around structural openings in a building.
One particularly difficult area is where electricity meters are located in a wall cavity. The retrofit standards framework requires thermal bridging and thermal bypassing to be eliminated.
Access Panel specialist Jupiter Blue are supplying the first ever insulated electricity meter box on the market. The patented design fits over the existing meter box housing and provides an easy to implement, fast and dependable way of meeting the retrofit standards.
The 0.35 “U” value insulated meter box has already been fitted to several social housing retrofit regeneration projects throughout the UK.
Statutory national targets for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions in response to the threat of climate change imply that very significant improvements need to be made in the energy efficiency of the UK’s building stock, including nearly all its 27 million domestic buildings. The objective is to achieve Near Zero Energy Buildings throughout the UK. This PAS supports work towards those objectives by promoting and defining technically robust and responsible “whole-building” domestic retrofit work.
The design (Patent Application No. 2116780.4.) has a host of innovative features and can be made to custom sizes, depending on the specific building requirements. Ensure no significant performance gap.
Key benefits are:
- Fits over existing meter housing. No need to move the meter which is both costly and time consuming, especially given the numbers of properties involved.
- High quality powder coated Zintec steel unit, supplied pre-finished and ready to fit.
- Easy to fit, no specialist tools required.
- Insulated and will maintain u-value
- Air seal to minimise air leakage
- Designed with a thermal break to avoid cold bridging
- Designed to resist water ingress
- Can be made to different sizes / depth depending on the dimensions of the existing electricity meter housing and the depth of insulation being fitted
- Fast lead times, made to order in the UK
- Custom RAL colour finishes available